Sunday, July 31, 2011

Garlic Roasted Summer Squash




<--  This is my Chief Zoo Keeper, amazed that I grew something!!!  


On that note, here we go! Typically I am the death of all things that grow out of the ground, but this year God has blessed me with the ability to not kill everything!  Actually, I don't think that is true at all.  I think it is the fact that they are planted outside so God can take care of them when I don't!  LOL.  Anyway, we managed to pull two lovely fat squash out of my little garden and I am so pleased!!!  I wanted to cook them, but wanted something different as we have a lot of saute'd squash, so I found this recipe here.  I had to modify it as I didn't have the seasoning it called for but it turned out great!  SO, here is my modified version!!!


Ingredients

  • 2 summer squash
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp thyme 
  • 1/2 tsp oregano 
  • 1/2 tsp parsley

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
  2. Trim the ends from the squash, and cut each squash in half lengthwise. Cut the halves in half again crosswise, to make 4 pieces; cut those pieces in half twice more the long way, to make 16 short spears from each squash.  (cut them like pickles, then cut the 'pickle' shape in half again!) Toss the squash with olive oil and garlic in a bowl; place into a shallow baking dish or on a cookie sheet.
  3. Roast the squash until the spears and garlic start to brown, 5 to 10 minutes. Check the squash after 5 minutes, and add time in 2- to 3-minute intervals to avoid burning.  Mine took about 15 minutes, I suggest turning them about half way through so they will brown a bit on both sides!!!
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Get Free Stuff

Get free stuff, including gift cards by using Swagbucks. I've redeemed $25.00 worth of Amazon gift cards, but they have other gift cards and prizes! Go and check 'em out, or if your already a member, you can use this engine to search or find out what's going on around Swagbucks!