Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Housewarming Gifts


I never know what to give as wedding or housewarming gifts. I think back to when the Chief and I got married and quickly realize our most used gifts: a wok and cleaning supplies!!! It seemed silly to get and give cleaning supplies, until those rough times came and we needed them!!! Ahh, the joy of being young and in love and broke!

I decided to hook up a wedding gift using homemade cleaning supplies, along with instructions on how to make and use them for future use. I prettied up a jar for the laundry detergent (recipe below) and re-used, and of course re-decorated, an old carpet powder bottle for the carpet cleaner. Found the recipe for carpet cleaner over at Mrs. Happy Homemaker.

I'll be adding homemade glass cleaner to it as well (windex is so expensive AND it leaves streaks!), but I didn't want to make it and leave it sitting in the bag awaiting it's new home as I'm afraid it will leak.

Another addition will be fabric softener (recipe below), homemade reed diffusers, Hand Scrub, and who knows what else I will come up with! LOL. I am happily travelling down a journey of all homemade chemicals! No more purchasing laundry detergent, body soap, cleaning supplies. They have become insanely expensive and more often than not they are inadequate! I've been giving 'samples' to friends and family and they all love what I've tried so far, so I'm quite pleased with the results!

To Make Window Cleaner:
Get a spray bottle (the one I use is came from Dollar Tree)
fill halfway with water
fill the rest with vinegar
Shake and use!


Fabric Softener:
1 cup your favorite scent of conditioner
2 cups water

Mix in a spray bottle, shake, spray into the dryer when you begin your load of clothes.  Voila!!!

Laundry Detergent:
1 bar fels naptha (soap found in the laundry section)
2 cups borax
2 cups washing powder

Grate/shred the bar of fels naptha into fine shreds, mix all together.  Place in jar for storage.  Use 1 tbsp (yes, you DID read that right!) for normal loads and 2 tbsp for absorbent loads.

We would love to hear your suggestions about making soaps, cleaning supplies, etc. I'm honestly too lazy to do the in depth, time consuming ones, but I LOVE the simple stuff!!! I welcome links to any of DIY cleaning or hygiene 'recipes', so long as they are on topic! :D Hope you've had a great time at the Zoo!!!

Come back tomorrow for Wednesday Zoo Discounts: Saving Money!!!


Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Get Free Stuff

Get free stuff, including gift cards by using Swagbucks. I've redeemed $25.00 worth of Amazon gift cards, but they have other gift cards and prizes! Go and check 'em out, or if your already a member, you can use this engine to search or find out what's going on around Swagbucks!