1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup milk
4 cups flour (plus a little more if dough is sticky)
oil (for frying)
1. In a large bowl mix the sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
2. Add eggs, milk and melted butter. Beat well.
3. Add 3 cups of the flour, beating until blended. Add one more cup of flour and beat well. The dough should be soft and sticky but firm enough to handle. If you feel its necessary, add up to 1/2 cup more flour.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for *at* *least* one hour.
5. Remove your dough from the fridge and begin heating about 1" of oil to 360F in a large metal skillet.
6. Working half the dough at a time, roll it out on a floured surface to about 1/2" thickness. Cut out circles using a doughnut cutter or large biscuit or cookie cutter. For the center, I actually use the lid of a spice bottle to cut the holes.
This recipe was found at the link below:
Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/old-fashioned-cake-doughnuts-383868?oc=linkback
Bread Machine Donuts Recipe